Rainy Day Kulfi

Top post on Blogchatter

 


This post is a part of Blogchatter Blog Hop.

It was a beautiful day in May. The sun was shining bright, and a light breeze blew through my open hair. My semester exams had just ended, and my mother and I were on our way to our favourite kulfi place to eat some mango kulfi. It was my after-exam treat, a tradition my parents had started after my UKG final exams. I was in a good mood. My papers had gone well, and I was looking forward to an evening of gossip, banter, and yummy food.

My mother and I left the house around 5 p.m. I was dressed in a loose chikankari kurti, white palazzo pants, and dainty, white sandals. We hailed an auto-rickshaw on the street, the old fashioned way, and set off for the local BDA market. The auto driver was an elderly man who was listening to devotional songs on the rickshaw stereo, and muttering curse words under his breath. As we snaked through the bumper-to-bumper Bangalore traffic, I was mentally strategizing what I would eat that evening. Should I have samosa first and kulfi later? Or the other way around? I usually preferred dessert first and snacks afterwards to undo the sweet aftertaste in my mouth. I was also in the mood for pav bhaji, but it was too hot a day for hot, hot pav and even hotter bhaji. Maybe I should stick to my usual order of bhel puri and mango kulfi, I thought to myself. I could wash off the sweet aftertaste with some masala lime soda.

As the auto turned left at the intersection, I thought about the kulfi place we were going to. It was a fairly recent discovery, that we had chanced upon a few months earlier, while my mother and I were doing some evening shopping at the market. The kulfi place was a little shop, a hole in the wall, with no indoor or outdoor seating. It was run by a young Rajasthani couple, and as the lady packed jalebis for my mother, the man offered me some kulfi to sample. One bite and I was hooked! From that day on, the kulfi shop became one of our staple, must visit places every time we went to the market. The traffic thinned, and my excitement and hunger mounted as we got nearer to the market.

When we were about a kilometre away from our destination, it started drizzling. “Mango showers,” I said to my mother, and chuckled at how apt it was that we were having mango showers while we were on our way to eat mango kulfi. Mango showers are light, pre-monsoon rains that occur in South India. They rarely last for more than ten minutes, and I expected the rains to subside by the time we reached the market. But my mother was shaking her head no. “There’s a cyclone in Tamil Nadu,” she said. Uh oh. That meant three to four days of continuous downpours in Bangalore. For two people who prided themselves on being born and raised in Bangalore, and hence intimately familiar with its rain patterns, how could we leave home without our umbrellas and jackets? Within minutes, what I thought were mango showers, turned into a terrible rainstorm, and we were caught in the middle of it.

Some 500 metres away from the market, the driver stopped the auto, and barked for us to get out. He snatched the money from my mother’s hands, turned his auto around, and drove away. My mother and I ran to the nearest shop, and sought shelter under its awning with many others who just like us were stranded. My white palazzo pants were covered in ugly, grey splotches and my white sandals were now brown. We huddled under the narrow awning, our teeth chattering and our clothes soaking wet. We waited like that for ten minutes, but the storm showed no signs of subsiding. And that’s when I lost my cool.

“It’s not fair!!!!” I whined. “I was so looking forward to eating kulfi and bhel puri. This happens every time. I get excited about something, build it up in my head, but then something happens, and my plans are ruined. The universe couldn’t give me one day to let my hair down and eat some kulfi?” I went on and on like this for five whole minutes, and when my mother couldn’t take it anymore, she grabbed my hand and said, “Let’s go eat kulfi”.

“Huh?” I said, sure that I had misheard her. Kulfi in this weather? “Why not?” my mother said, her face beaming. “We are here anyway, might as well go eat some kulfi. Come on, Sudeepta. It’s going to be an experience.” I considered it for a moment. She was right, we were here anyway. There was something romantic about ice cream in the rain, I supposed. And eating kulfi seemed like a better alternative than huddling with strangers in front of a mobile repair shop. “Okay!” I said, and two of us ran all the way to the kulfi shop.

By the time we reached, the rain had decreased, and was now a steady drizzle. “Two mango kulfis, please!” my mother said to the kulfi-man. “Kulfis, didi?” he asked but handed them to us before we could change our minds. I’ll admit that the kulfis did not taste as delicious as usual. My teeth were still chattering, and I looked (and felt) gross in my wet, rain soaked clothes. But as I looked around the market place, the crowded samosa and chaat shops, and my mother and I the sole patrons of the kulfi shop, a small smile crept onto my face. There was something so fun and innocently mischievous about eating ice cream in the rain. My mother was right – it was an experience, a story that I could one day tell others – and I was determined to make the most of it. We topped off the mango kulfis with hot jalebis and samosas, and by the time we paid the bill, my mood was considerably improved.

The auto-rickshaw driver on our way back home was very personable, and chatted with us about the weather, traffic, and CET exams. “But this is life in Bangalore, no?” he said, and we agreed whole-heartedly. Yes, this was life.

By the time we reached home, the rain had finally stopped, though we were still buzzing from our little adventure. My father looked up from the TV, looked at our dishevelled hair and clothes, and asked, “Did you get caught in the storm? What did you do?”

“We ate kulfi!” my mother and I said in unison, and burst out laughing.

As I peeled off my wet clothes, and hopped in the shower, I thought about how our rainy day kulfi would result in a terrible cold and throat infection. I am very sensitive to cold weather, and the combination of cold and wet weather is just lethal. I knew I would wake up the next morning with a runny nose and sore throat, that would take several days to heal. But, I thought, for once, it would be worth it.   

☔☔☔☔